.



Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Attack of the Rude Yoga People





I just have to wonder and therefore ask; what the hell is wrong with some people who take yoga at the gym? There is this air of rudeness, arrogance and self absorbedness from this particular group of exercisers that I just don't see (to the same level and degree) in the rest of the gym population. Not to say that other gym members aren't rude and inconsiderate at times, but the yoga folks take it to a whole, new, creepy and psychotic level.
Over the years, having taught in many gyms right before many a yoga class, I have seen the same rude, self entitled, "me and my yoga are more important than anyone else" attitude over and over and over again. "I am YOGA... get the hell out of my way!"

This is what I'm talking about....

Instructors at the gym generally know to end a class they're teaching at least 5 minutes before the next class is about to begin. This allows the previous class to properly put away all equipment, and for the next class to then after, enter the studio, set up and begin their class on time. Makes complete and total common sense, and when done right serves both purposes perfectly.

Well, yoga people don't feel that they have to wait for the class before them to put equipment away before barging into the studio and slamming their mats down. Regardless of who or what's going on in the room, they have to come in and claim their space RIGHT NOW. Forget the fact that they have roughly 5 minutes before their class even begins, IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN RIGHT NOW! You, who are there and trying to gather your things to leave had better just hop on out of the way!
I also need to say that the level of rudeness these yoga people are willing to take this action to is unbelievable. I have seen them push the previous exerciser's belongings out of the spot, plop the mat down on the person's feet as they're still standing there...I mean, really mean, childish, UNNECESSARY tactics that make you wonder about the sanity of the perpetrator.



I, always one to put a stop to such shennanigans, take a hard line on this. I insist that any class I teach be allowed to put all their stuff away before you come and claim your coveted, do or die yoga spot. I have even locked the door to keep them out and from committing this selfish, childish insistence on coming in even up to 7 minutes early just to sit down and do absolutely nothing until their class begins.

Picture this: 30 to 40 people trying to put away body bars, dumbbells, mats and towels, but while 30 to 40 more people enter the studio and yoga mats are being slapped down left and right. It becomes an obstacle course and a dangerous maze. Why can't you just wait? Waiting for the previous class to clear their equipment away actually makes it easier for you and your class to set up. Dummy!
The lack of consideration for anyone else in their path is mind bending. You think you're looking at the behavior of a 4 year old. And they will get as rude as is necessary to have their own way. I have seen this same phenomenon in gym after gym after gym.

Doesn't matter how early I end the previous class for everyone's convenience...if I end 10 minutes early, they're are trying to come in and put their mats down 10 minutes early....like there's a damn emergency or something. Why this complete suspension of intelligence or logic? You are going to get into the damn class when it's your turn. IT IS NOT all about YOU, we have 35 other people trying to put their stuff away...YOU CAN WAIT TWO MORE MINTUES, IT'S NOT GOING TO KILL YOU TO DO SO!

I have spoken to other instructors who teach before yoga and have heard the same from them. We are all bewildered and awestruck by the feral, childish, inconsiderate, selfish, and almost animalistic behavior demonstrated by some yoga folks. Not just one class or one location, people. I see this everywhere.
Isn't yoga supposed to balance you and calm you down to a certain degree? Aren't yoga people supposed to be trying to be harmonious with their surroundings? Aren't they supposed to be ridding themselves of negative behaviors and habits? WTF??
Well, from what I've seen, the yoga isn't working, honey. Not one bit. I've seen the same people come to take the same yoga class for years and still, they stand outside the studio door with the same mean look on their face and the same ridiculous attitude. I recommend psychotherapy.... yoga is not equipped to handle what's really eating you. Seriously.



I figure some of them must be coming from THIS place!


Mean yoga people. Selfish, inconsiderate yoga people. "The world revolves around me and my yoga RIGHT NOW yoga people". What the hell is their problem?

I do know that there are many normal, non dysfunctional, kind, considerate yoga practitioners out there. If you are one of them, then you know that this does not apply to you. But those others, oh my God. Somebody PLEASE teach them some good yoga manners!



Add to del.icio.usDiggIt!RedditStumble ThisAdd to Google BookmarksAdd to Yahoo MyWebAdd to Technorati FavesSlashdot it

25 comments:

Bourbon Girl said...

I think it is more the people who are rushing off to "get yoga in" rather than actually practice yoga. So many people do it strictly for the great muscle lengthening rather than the peace of it.

I did take yoga at a gym years ago and I remember people rushing to get in and get a good spot. They were not very friendly to others and new comers either.

I would love to see a brawl! haha! I could picture it as you were saying people trying to put their dumbbells away while the yoga mats were being dropped on their feet. I could just imagine someone clocking the yoga person with the dumbbell.

Can we add to this rant the men who do yoga and do not, um, ensure the boys are maintained within the shorts....not pleasant for someone behind them....

Kelly

The Fitness Diva said...

Kelly, you just made me laugh SO hard with the comment about "the boys". Lucky I wasn't drinking something at the moment, or I'd have choked! LMAO! :)

Dwacon said...

And what's up with the "please don't touch the pilates equipment" dealio?

SG Entrepreneur said...

I bet the yoga people just don't want to be there :D and as Kelly mentioned, the boys always get some fresh air and its disgusting sometimes.

Darla Brown said...

Maybe you could write a sign that says something to the effect, "Please be mindful of the class that is session and do not enter until it is time for your class to start. In order to prepare for a mindful yoga class, please meditate peacefully in the hall and the instructor will invite you in when it is your time." :-)

Maybe that will help them realize they're missing the whole point?

Mom said...

I have to disagree with one point.

My 4 year old behaves better than THAT!!!

Wilson Pon said...

Well, Diva. I'm sorry that you've met the horrible and arrogant people who claimed themselves a yoga practitioner.

Honestly, I'm a yoga practitioner myself and I'm swear to god that I'm also hated those people that didn't know how to respect others privacy!

Tina T said...

This definitely gave me a big laugh. I have belonged to gyms that have giant signs posted on the doors that the next class should not enter until the door has been propped open by the instructor of the current class. I used to see those signs and think "duh, who would be so rude and barge in?" Now I know!

buy acai said...

I mean give me a break yoga teaches you to control your emotions. isnt mind control part of yoga? The first asahana's we do are mainly to calm yourself and get rid of anger. But these people are doing the opposite what does that mean they aint do what yoga people need to do. SO in my book they aint worth the guru status

Boris (@livetruly) said...

Great post. Did you put up a sign on the door? Darla's sign or maybe something like, "Dear Yoga students please wait until the previous class is finished before setting up? The weights we're putting away can be dangerous and I don't want anyone to get hurt."

I wonder how many of the yoga folks actually realize that they're being rude. I think Kelly is right, they might be competing for spots. Haha, precautions must be taken re the boys... boxer-brief requirement for inversion classes? =P

Wonderful pictures! btw

PS: I love the people in my yoga class. Teacher is super nice and makes it a point to pass that on to the students. We're first in in the morning so attacking class before us isn't an issue. Hope it isn't that way for later sessions.

UPrinting said...

Sorry to hear about the alleged rudeness of yoga people. Have you tried talking to them or to their trainer? I hope this supposed rudeness won't go on forever.

Urban Thought said...

They are a bit aggressive. I deal with the folk that like to stalk the machine while you're on it, that is what bothers me most at the gym.

zuls said...

I believe what they do are contradicting with yoga's purpose. Yoga seeks the calmness not arrogance. LOL, they must be fake practitioners.

John @ Family, Fitness and Finances said...

I have never experienced the "childish, inconsiderate, selfish, and almost animalistic behavior demonstrated by some yoga folks." AND I'm glad! Maybe they should consider taking a meditation class before going to yoga. I think you should go to the Yoga Fight Club and teach 'em a lesson! lol :)

aldon @ orient lodge said...

I must admit that I do not frequent gyms. However, my wife and daughter have taken some town recreation department yoga classes that were absolutely wonderful.

Even better, we go to a folk music festival every summer, where there are yoga sessions at the dance tent each morning before the festivities begin. These are very friendly gatherings and sound very different from what you describe.

I guess these counterexamples provide a good illustration why I prefer to get my exercise in places other than gyms

Jan from BetterSpines said...

That's so funny! It's like a cross between trying to get out of an elevator and going to bingo. How often do people rush into an elevator or a train without letting anyone get out first? And have you seen bingo grannies grab "their" seats? As someone else has suggested, maybe they should have meditation before yoga, to remind them of why they are there.

beauty leeds said...

Seems like a big oxymoron "aggression" and "yoga" ! There will always be a minority that spoil it for the rest of us !

Gustavo Be Well with Perfect Acai said...

Well an important factor here is their paradigms. As yoga is mainly based on mind´s job, this could affect the way they see the world and create a sense of comparison and superiority inside their minds. It's a shame to happen as it is supposed to be any adverse effect, but it´s the reality.

Yoga teacher training said...

I agree with you on this. Appreciate you writing on this topic!

Anonymous said...

I am glad I found this spot to vent. I went to at one yoga class last night and got there early, had my mat down in the back and then went out of the room to go to the bathroom. When I was gone someone moved my mat and then had the balls to ask me when I returned to move over again on top of another person's mat. I said there was no room to move over and she rudely just plopped her mat down half on mine! I can't believe the rudeness of some people in claiming "just the right spot" even if it is already taken. It's totally weird. Even though I personally love Yoga, it seems it's becoming pompous! I personally will never go to that Yoga place again and will seek out another place that is more in line with what real Yoga is!

Frank @ Free Gasoline said...

So, isn't Yoga about relaxing and calming down? Then why do Yoga people show such behaviors?

Lewis D. said...

I think there is not one single reason that people do Yoga and some of them miss the real point of it. Yoga experts have great responsibility here to show the truth to such people.

Grits said...

Kelly you are absolutely right, I barely notice any difference in my friends after they take a couple yoga lessons. I guess they are missing the point.

Anonymous said...

I am a yoga Teacher and I am sad that they are representing this way,saying that I am currently in a situation that I have a few students that spread negative energy and complain before class I constantly tell them what yoga is they are not getting it ,soooo I am being calm to see the best way they will learn the truth and beauty of Yoga.when the ego gets a hold of something like religion/yoga this is the attitude we see it is not what we who KNOW & LOVE YOGA IS ALL ABOUT NAMASTAE TO YOU ALL

Custom Labels said...

Lack of respect in a gym setting is incredibly frustrating...but yes, I've seen this type of behavior before in the yoga crowd. Love yoga, but don't get this attitude at all.

 
Clicky Web Analytics